Join us for a weekend to get to know the newest FAWCO Member Club, the Heidelberg IWC!
We are brand new and looking forward to welcoming you to our home in the Rhine-Neckar Region of Germany. Defined by a stunning castle, an old bridge over the river Neckar, lots of university students, and mild weather (for Germany), Heidelberg is a tourist town with a lot of personality.
This year’s Regional is a non-meeting meeting. We are throwing out our watches and giving ample time to connecting, chatting, helping, supporting, understanding, and of course, inspiring. Haven’t you always wanted more time to talk and to get to know the amazing women who make up Region 5? Now’s your chance and you don’t want to miss it.
And on top of all of that, we are changing up the format! Join us for dinner on Friday, a full meeting day with dinner on Saturday, and optional tours on Sunday.
See the full preliminary agenda (PDF) and get a quick overview of the main attractions:
Friday, November 9th
- Welcome Dinner at Carosello Mangio Italiano, an authentic Italian restaurant in a former cigarette factory within walking distance from the meeting hotel
Saturday, November 10th
- Meeting at the Community Room at the Peace Church in the Handschuhsheim neighborhood; this is where we hold our Monthly Meeting
- The program includes a short session on FAWCO, an update from the Target Program, long coffee breaks, a catered Malaysian lunch, and networking activities to boost the connecting and inspiring
- Dinner at Qube Restaurant, which is also the Meeting hotel, so we can dine and crash after a long day
Sunday, November 11th
- Optional tours available if you want to see more of Heidelberg and get in some exercise
- Tour possibilities are: the Heidelberg Castle, Old Town, and the Philosophers' Walk
And the best part of all is that all your meals* and activities on Friday and Saturday are included in your attendance fee! And drumroll, please...we’re offering one fee for the whole weekend: €169.
And HIWC Members, we have a special deal for you: we want you to join us, learn more about FAWCO, and get to know the women just like you who live in Region 5 (Germany and Austria). Therefore, the attendance fee for HIWC Members is only €149!
As is common with our Region 5 Meetings in the past, transportation to and from Heidelberg and your hotel stay are not included in the attendance fee. Don't forget to book early!
*Water is included on Friday night, but all other drinks on Friday and Saturday night are not included, bummer
You should book your room at Qube Hotel, because that’s where everybody is staying. Single rooms are €120/night, and double rooms are €132/night (breakfast is included). Please book your hotel room by October 9 otherwise you might not have a place to stay or you will have to pay more. Use the code HIWC to get our special rate. We’ll give you all the details of the hotel and how to book your rooms in the confirmation email. And we’ll send you a reminder in September in case you forget over the summer. ;)
On both nights we’ll have a set menu with your choice of main dish, and on Friday you can also pick your dessert. See the food descriptions and menu options (PDF) and then indicate your choice on the registration form. We’re getting hungry!
FAWCO Region 5 Meeting 2017 in Munich
Learn more about our optional tours (PDF) on Sunday and then indicate your choice on the registration form. Here are your options:
Optional Tour A: Heidelberg Castle Tour
- Near the Old Bridge over the Neckar River, the impressive Heidelberg Castle (Heidelberger Schloss) ruins is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Germany and a major landmark of Heidelberg. After a walk to Bushel Terrace, boasting views of the city far into the Rhine valley, you will be guided through the castle complex and finally down to the wine cellar, where you will find the world’s largest wine barrel.
- Length: 1 hour; 10:00 - 11:00
- Price: €16
Optional Tour B: Old Town Tour + Heidelberg Castle Tour
- Winding alleys and dreamy squares, interesting museums and galleries: Heidelberg’s Old Town is multi-faceted. A guided tour around the Old Town brings the past to life. Whether the Heiliggeistkirche (Church of the Holy Spirit), the Jesuit Quarter, Germany’s oldest university with the Studentenkarzer (history students’ prison) or any of the other sights - every station in the Old Town has an interesting story to tell. The route also leads through the main street, one of the longest pedestrian zones in Europe.
- Length: 3 hours; 10:00 - 13:00
- Price: €25
Optional Walk C: Philosophers’ Walk + Old Town
- The name "Philosophers' Walk" (Philosophenweg) can be traced to the fact that Heidelberg's university professors and philosophers found this path, which cuts across the hill opposite the Old Town, a congenial place where they could talk seriously and contemplate while enjoying the charming view of the Neckar River and the Heidelberg Castle, which was already in ruins in the early 1700s. Then make your way down the Winding Path, across the Old Bridge, through the Bridge Gate and down the pedestrian zone. *This is not a tour, just a guided walk.*
- Length: about 2 hours; 10:00 - 12:00
- Price: Free
If you want to bring your spouse or partner, no problem! We can give them a map, some suggestions of things to do, and what to see in Heidelberg. They can join dinner on Friday night for €25 and Saturday night for €40. And of course they can join the tours on Sunday. You’ll be able to indicate this on the registration form.
Getting to Heidelberg
- Plane: The closest airport is Frankfurt am Main (FRA) and then it’s an hour drive or 30-minute train ride to the Heidelberg Main Train Station (Hauptbahnhof).
- Train: Arrive at the Heidelberg Main Train Station (Hauptbahnhof) then it’s an 11-minute walk to the hotel
- Car: There is parking at the hotel for €19.50/day
- Tram: Line 22 at stop Volkshochschule, though that line doesn’t go to the Main Train Station, so it’s probably easier to walk if you’re coming from out of town
- Walk: It's about an 11-minute walk from the Main Train Station (Hauptbahnhof) and about a 12-minute walk from Bismarckplatz
- Please book your hotel room at Qube Hotel by October 9, 2018
- Please register to join us at the Meeting by October 19, 2018 (we need to print things!)
You can do so at the top of this page. We can't wait to see you in November!
Questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.