BC Hearts Matter – The Heart Pillow Project
Sewing Heart Pillows for Women Diagnosed with Breast Cancer
HIWC Members sew heart pillows and knit and crochet knitted hats, scarves & socks for women with cancer diagnoses and being treated at the NCT (National Center for Tumor Diseases) Heidelberg.
Heart pillows are used by women who have had mastectomies. One of our members says…
“I got such a pillow myself, at NCT, 5 years ago! […] that pillow really helped me! After the surgery it was so helpful for the pains, but especially during the radiation!!! This is really a project that makes a change! And unfortunately, it is true that there are not enough! […] We want to make as many heart pillows as possible this fall to donate to the NCT.“ – Maria João Barros Weiss, HIWC Member
Donate money or materials
We need the following materials to make the heart pillows:
- Fabric: Bright, cheerful cotton/fleece/wool/flannel
- Polyfil/fiber fill stuffing (e.g. pellon cluster fill)
- Thread, needles, scissors
- Sewing machine to borrow during one-day craft bash sessions
Or we’re happy to get cash donations via bank transfer so we can get these materials. About €15 makes 2 heart pillows; €50 makes 7 heart pillows.
Make a bank transfer to our Club account with the following details:
- Account Name: Heidelberg International Women’s Club e.V.
- Bank Name: Heidelberger Volksbank
- IBAN: DE08 6729 0000 0149 6548 52
- BIC: GENODE61HD1
- Memo (Verwendungszweck): BC Hearts Matter
Sew, stuff, or support making the heart pillows
We’d love to have lots of women making heart pillows on their own, or contributing to an upcoming one-day craft bash. If you’d like to sew, cut, iron, stitch or generally be involved…
Join the HIWC! Learn more about membership and become a member today.
During the one-day craft bash, we need the following support:
- Do you have an ironing board and iron that you could bring?
- Could you help set up tables?
- Could you help cut out the pattern?
- Could you help fill the heart cushions with filling?
- Could you hand sew them closed?
- Could you help wrap the cushions?
- Could you write notes wishing the patients well?
It’s meaningful work, plus we’re a fun, social club. So join and start making a difference with us.